Shelf life of make up + what I do to remind myself

Saturday, February 06, 2016

I'm guilty of being a very impulsive buyer. I buy anything that's cute, and sometimes, I just buy more of something because I just want to make sure I have enough supply at home. I'm like this with almost everything, especially with personal care (like alcohol, wet wipes and tissue) and make up. I'm not sure if you'll believe me when I tell you that I don't use make up lot, at least not most of the time. I just use it for make up trials, photo shoots (which are very often) and cosplay (which is also like 5-6 times only per year. I don't know why but there's this magnetic force that attracts me to a cosmetic shop whenever I pass by. Does anyone suffer from the same thing? 


Lately, I realized how much much money I waste on make up because I forget I have too many and then when I want to use it, I realize it has expired already. Yes, make ups expire. Which is why if you're someone like me who hoards, you'd need to take note of the date of purchase. Be mindful of what you put on your face, just like being mindful of what you eat. For your reference (from Popsugar.com):

Powders (including blushes, bronzers, and shadows) 2 years
Cream shadows and blushes 12-18 months
Oil-free foundation 1 year
Cream compact foundation 18 months
Concealers 12-18 months
Lipstick and lip liner 1 year
Lip gloss 18-24 months
Pencil eyeliner 2 years
Liquid or gel eyeliner 3 months
Mascara 3 months

It helps if you print it out and put it anywhere near your make up storage. At first I found it really hard to keep up with the dates so here's what I did to make sure I don't use make up past their shelf life or throw unused/barely used make up away:

What you'll need:

Label stickers and a pen. ;)

For unopened make up, what I do is I put the date when I purchased it its box.


And then I write down the date when I first used make up just to make sure and store it the same place where I store all my make up. 

Ever since I've done this I became wiser when purchasing make up. I ask myself the following questions (1) Will I use it in the future? (2) When do I plan to use it? (3) Do I still have the same product (to avoid hoarding) at home? 

Don't forget, your make up brushes, powder puffs also need cleaning from time to time :)

You should start doing this too. Not only do you save money, you also ensure that you only put safe products on your face :) PS: Always remove make up and wash your face thoroughly before heading to bed! ;)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I need to start doing this especially with contact lens...

    http://lostintheautumnforest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :D Oh yes, extra care for lenses since you put them on your eyes. :) I replace the solution every other day even though I don't use it everyday :)

      Delete